In August 2001 to 2007, Samuel Ng was hired to develop our English ministry.
In March 2002, we held our first English Sunday worship service, Lighthouse, with 25 participants. Services were held in the church’s office (2615 S. King St.) at 10:00 am every Sunday, with an average attendance in the first year of 30 people.
In October 2002 the church office moved to 935 Dillingham Blvd. On December 22nd, 2002, Lighthouse began at 9:30a on Sunday mornings.
After moving into our new church building in 2005, Lighthouse maintained its 9:30a start time on Sunday mornings.
In April 2008, Lighthouse changed its start time to 9:00a. Rev. Don Baron returned to CLCH in September 2009, acting as interim pastor of Lighthouse until he retired in November 2010. Our average attendance was 45 people, most of whom were around 18 years of age, whose parents attended the Cantonese or Mandarin congregations.
From January of 2011 to February of 2014, Steve Burke was hired to nurture and shape Lighthouse. In January of 2012 Lighthouse moved to Saturday nights at 6:30p in the 3rd floor Sanctuary to accommodate more people.
Jason Oshiro was hired in July 2014 as English Youth Minister to further expand our youth ministry, and at the end of the month, we held our final Lighthouse worship service in the sanctuary.
The English congregation, now generically labelled as CLCH English for this transitional period, returned to Sunday morning service in the second-floor chapel in the middle of August, 2014.
During the 2014 Winter Camp, Jason received a word from the Lord: “Converge.” After spending several months observing and interacting with the congregants, he began to understand and see this word as fitting for the name of this ministry.
In July 2015, the name of the English congregation was officially changed from CLCH English to Converge.
• Different cultures, and different races coming together to CONVERGE at the foot of the cross!
• Different classes & walks of life coming together to CONVERGE at the foot of the cross!
• A people that loves God with all our hearts, souls, minds, and strengths; Loving our neighbors as ourselves.
On October 1st, 2018 Jason's official recognized title changed to English Minister.
Our first Sunday worship service was held on the morning of November 3rd, 1974 at 11:00 am, in the 1st floor Laniolu lounge (Lutheran Senior Citizen’s Home) of the Prince of Peace Lutheran Church. The number of people in attendance reached more than 60 people.
We were called "Mandarin Fellowship” under the covering of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, which was a member church of the American Lutheran Church (ALC), and were the first Mandarin-speaking church in Hawaii. The average attendance in the first year was 38 people.
As the number gradually increased, we outgrew the 1st floor lounge space.
On May 17th, 1977 we moved our service to the 12th floor Chapel which was held at 2:30 pm on Sunday afternoons. This allowed us to further expand our ministry.
On February 1st, 1980 we moved from the Prince of Peace Lutheran Church (333 Lewers St., Waikiki) to the Lutheran Church of Honolulu (1730 Punahou St.) in Makiki, and continued to worship on Sunday afternoons.
On March 25th, 1980 "Prince of Peace Lutheran Church Mandarin Fellowship", was officially accepted as a member of the ALC. Our name officially became Chinese Lutheran Church of Honolulu (CLCH).
On January 1st, 1988 the ALC, Lutheran Church of America (LCA), and the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches (AELC), three Lutheran bodies united to become the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA). As a member of the ALC we became a member of newly formed ELCA. [On March 29th, 2015, CLCH left the ELCA and officially became a member of the North American Lutheran Church (NALC).]
On July 4th, 1981, Simon Lee followed God’s call to Hawaii from Hong Kong and began to serve and lead our congregation. At that time, there were more than 80 worshippers on Sunday, over 90% of whom came from Taiwan.
At the beginning of 1984, a Cantonese home Bible study was launched. Most participants were university students from Hong Kong.
On July 15th, 1984 at 7:00 pm, an evening worship service, mainly in Cantonese, with Mandarin auxiliary interpretation was launched. 31 people attended the first service. The average attendance in the first year was 24 people.
In late September 1990, due to the request of the Lutheran Church of Honolulu, our office moved to a location near the University of Hawaii (1342 Kanewai St.).
Due to increasing numbers in our Cantonese evening service, we outgrew the Isenberg Hall in the Lutheran Church of Honolulu. In January 1994, we moved our Cantonese evening service from the Lutheran Church of Honolulu to the United Church of Christ (476 N. Judd St.)
In August of 1994 our office moved to University Square, (2615 S. King St.).
It seemed one after another, congregants within our Cantonese evening service were bearing children, and it became more and more difficult to meet so late. Therefore, in April of 1997, our evening service returned to the Lutheran Church of Honolulu, but moved instead into the sanctuary, with worship beginning at 5:00 pm.
At the end of 1997, we purchased our current site (1640 Liliha St.), roughly 20,000 square feet of open space.
In October of 2002, we moved our church office yet again to 935 Dillingham Blvd.
On December 22nd, 2002 the Cantonese evening service formally moved to Sunday mornings, starting at 11:00 am with services held in our church office (935 Dillingham Blvd.).
After many years of financing efforts, our new church building was completed. A dedication ceremony was held on January 1st, 2005 and we could begin to utilize our new facility. The Mandarin congregation began worship at 9:00 am and the Cantonese congregation began worship at 11:15 am.
In November 2010, Wayne Chi began to serve in our church, leading the Cantonese congregation. Wayne was officially ordained in June of 2016.